Sunday, January 12, 2014

Danger Days: The True Lives Of The Fabulous Killjoys - My Chemical Romance

Since my friend told me I had been doing too many positive reviews, I decided to review an album that I didn't like very much (Here it comes, first negative review!).  My Chemical Romance is a great band and I know a lot of their songs by heart, but I believe that this album was the work that ended up splitting them apart.  Before beginning the production of this album, the drummer of this long going band left, leaving them divided and wounded.  Danger Days: The True Lives Of The Fabulous Killjoys makes a substantial style change from emo-punk rock, to alternative-pop with very small hints of punk, and barely any traces of their defining genre, Emo rock.

I believe that in their attempt to attract a larger and broader audience, they pushed away their original and long time audience.  This was a large turn-off for me.  I won't say they sold out, but I think they sold out (oops).  Don't get me wrong, there are a few takeaways from this album, though I wish there were more, as I know they had the potential to do so.

Some of these few songs are:  Their most recognized tracks, Na Na Na (Na Na Na Na Na Na Na Na Na) (mouthful much?), and Sing.  Personally, I think the first is catchier and an overall fun song, while I believe the latter is a bit boring.  Another is Bulletproof Heart, a more up-beat song with some entertaining vocals.  My favorite song of the album, Destroya was more rock oriented, being the only song that I consider to stay true to this bands original style.

Although I have given my first negative review, I won't tell you not to listen to this album.  Everyone experiences music and art in different ways. What I find to be bland or unentertaining might be a great listening experience to another person.  If you wish, give the album a listen and tell me what you think, I'd love to hear your opinions!

No comments: