Friday, January 10, 2014

Beacon - Two Door Cinema Club

Two Door Cinema Club is a great up-and-coming Irish band that has only released two albums, this being the second.  I have very high hopes for this band, as I did when I heard their first album, Tourist History.  They certainly did not disappoint with the release of their second studio album, Beacon.  This album, as the first, is a predominantly indie rock experience, with light new wave and electronic undertones. Even though I feel that the album has its fair share of what I call "filler songs" (Songs that do not impress or sound bland/ unimpressive tracks), there are some remarkable song in this album that deserve recognition.

Some of these being Handshake, a song that feels a bit victorious (not in the "eye of the tiger" way) and has great lyrical art.  Another is Next Year, a more electronic/rock song that feels rather "happy" although it talks about being homesick and not being able to see the ones you love.  Last but not least, my personal favorite, Someday.  It's a unexpected change in the album, as the song is a bit more fast paced. The song also has a climactic ending that makes me turn it up and headband every time!

Overall, the album is entertaining and unique, but it does not top the first, Tourist History (which I will hopefully review soon!). Although some of the songs didn't really stand out to me, it doesn't mean you shouldn't give it a listen.

No comments: