Sunday, April 13, 2014

Hesitation Marks - Nine Inch Nails

Nine Inch Nails was a hidden gem to me, since I first heard their song "Only" (I hate vevo but I couldn't find the video anywhere else) I was hooked.  But that was when I had no internet connection, and no way of listening to NiN, so I forgot...  Until a friend of mine, Alejandra, started to talk to me about them ("Duuuude check out this song").  I have had the privilege of hearing almost every one of their CDs since then.  Hesitation Marks is a very recent album released in 2013 that really made an impression on me.  While it remains true to its roots of industrial rock and Alt rock, it also feels much more organized. 

Real good tracks in this album, starting of with Copy of A, a song about existentialism (good example of industrial music while keeping it nice and clean) in a upbeat, industrialist rhythm.  Another good one is All Time Low a song with a kind of cow-boyish guitar and a relaxed pace.  Also, Various Methods of Escape, a song that pulls more towards Trent's other collaborations, like How To Destroy Angels.  My personal favorite from this album is Came Back Haunted, a song that talks of an unknown haunting apparition that leaves the singer scared.  I love this song for its slightly creepy tone and cool lyrics that weave a mysterious story.

A lot of NiN's records feel as if Trent Reznor (Main vocals, band's founder) just experimented with a lot of loud, Industrial sounds and techy music and put it on an album, but in Hesitation Marks you can see how far Trent has come as an experienced music writer and artist.  This album is the result of years in the business and love for the job, especially when you see how Trent has evolved as an artist, a musician and as a person.

The evolution of a crazy talented and handsome mo-fo

No comments: